In the upcoming days, and perhaps weeks, I would like to discuss the different facets of the Total Football philosophy as developed by Rinus Michels and how this philosophy can be adapted to our modern-day game.
Total Football has been a passion of mine ever since I saw the video clips of the Dutch national team employing this tactic in the 1974 World Cup. The quick movement of the ball throughout the pitch, the constant motion of the players, the insanely high defensive line and the overall beauty of this offensive tactic has captivated my imagination and never let it go.
Sadly, today no team plays Total Football like the Dutch in the mid 70’s. Today’s game has evolved into a quicker, more individualistic style that could easily defeat Total Football in its purest form. However, just as the game has evolved, so too must Total Football. And it has…
Hopefully this short introduction has sparked an interest in learning about Total Football. I’ll leave you now with a clip of Total Football in action at the 1974 World Cup.
No comments:
Post a Comment